Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Categories: Communication / External Relations
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
Purpose of the Position:
- The UNICEF Internship Programme offers qualified and eligible students the unique opportunity to acquire direct practical experience in UNICEF’s work and the United Nations system under the direct supervision of experienced UNICEF staff.
- A social media intern is required to oversee and produce content for UNICEF Africa social media channels, and to support UNICEF staff in ESA countries on how best to tell their stories on their country specific social media platforms.
- The Social Media consultant will use current and new social media platforms to support UNICEF ESARO’s advocacy goals, as well as the priority emergencies currently taking place in the region.
Scope of Work
- The Social Media Intern will be responsible for creating and packaging compelling digital content which engages regional audiences in a dynamic, interactive and meaningful way and sparks conversations around issues related to UNICEF’s mandate.
- She/he will play a leading role in supporting UNICEF’s country wide presence on a wide range of social media platforms and championing wider digital editorial processes.
- She/he will regularly liaise with colleagues in country offices on content, style and storytelling. They will also support – and in some cases lead on – the creation and coordination of social media strategies and campaigns, monitoring and analysis, and moderation of platforms.
- Working under the supervision of the Regional Communication Chief for Eastern & Southern Africa, the Social Media Intern will act as one of UNICEF ESARO’s key representatives in its regional digital outreach.
(1) To regularly update – using shared content from country offices, and new assets – all of UNICEF Africa’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
(2) To proactively seek content across the Region and find ongoing trends and areas of potential interest for internal and external audiences
(3) To work closely with the social media lead in UNICEF West and Central Africa regional office (WCARO) on planning and developing content for UNICEF Africa social media channels.
(4) To give support to country offices on their social media presence and strategies, including championing the UNICEF Digital How To Guide with colleagues in country offices.
(5) To review and update a short overview of UNICEF Africa’s current social media platforms and reach; to include an examination of country office sites and content; and key recommendations
(6) To develop a strategy note for increasing UNICEF Africa social meal channel audiences
(7) To identify key digital opportunities and influencers so that social networking can support advocacy objectives
(8) To serve as a focal point for UNICEF’s Digital Transformation Project led by NYHQ
• Be enrolled in a degree programme in an undergraduate or graduate school in social science, marketing, journalism, international affairs or communications, or other related field; OR minimum of five years’ experience in relevant field
• Proven ability to write flawless copy for social media on tight deadlines.
• Adept at using a wide range of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn
• Knowledge of the Eastern & Southern Africa region
• Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time.
• Knowledge of social media monitoring technology and can use social media measurement and listening tools such as Hootsuite.
• Knowledge of reporting on quantitative and qualitative analytics.
• Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas on social media platforms as well as transfer knowledge and skills in this area.
• Must have excellent command of English (native speaker preferred).
Visit the official page to apply.